ThoughtSpot version 6.0.2 is now available. These release notes include information about new features, fixed issues from the previous releases, and any known issues.
- 6.0.2 New Features
- 6.0.2 Fixed Issues
- 6.0.1 Fixed Issues
- 6.0 New Features
- 6.0 Fixed Issues
- Beta Programs
- Supported Upgrade Paths
- Notes from Older Versions
6.0.2 New Features and Functionality
Embrace for Google BigQuery and Microsoft Azure Synapse
In addition to Snowflake and Redshift, you can now run live queries against Google BigQuery or Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics, without caching data in ThoughtSpot. You can then analyze this data, and create Answers and Pinboards.
See Embrace overview.
Search indexing Starting with release 6.0.2, we enabled search indexing of columns by default, in all Embrace connections. This shows values of columns in the search bar as you type.
ThoughtSpot re-indexes columns daily; this can be changed to an hourly schedule.
UI/UX for creating and editing Embrace connections now include a built-in workflow.
Headline optimization We changed the behavior for loading headlines with tabular reports. The primary table now loads immediately, and headlines appear when the queries that populate them complete.
Data Search APIs
To programmatically use the data that we retrieve from a query, you can use ThoughtSpot Search Data API.
See Search Data API.
6.0.2 Fixed Issues
The following issues are fixed in the 6.0.2 release:
- Updating a formula causes a blank screen and corrupts a worksheet when it is saved.
- Upgrade to release 6.0.1 changes charts with a y-axis at 100% to a regular stacked column chart.
- After upgrade to release 5.3.2, users cannot sign in using SSO.
- Disk alerts occur when drives are functioning normally.
6.0.1 Fixed Issues
The following issues are fixed in the 6.0.1 release:
- Search autocomplete occasionally displays an error when using a bulk filter.
- In a custom calendar, sales results for individual years are correct, but are not correct when comparing those same years using
2019 vs 2018
- Upgrades to a ThoughtSpot AWS deployment can cause hosts to lose their configured hostnames.
- A yellow bar sometimes appears during search, causing search not to work.
- Optimization does not occur in pinned measure formulas with complex aggregation, resulting in more queries than necessary.
- After upgrade to release 5.3.x., previously enabled delayed search for a cluster is disabled.
- The dot in a hover tooltip for a chart, indicating which item the tooltip applies to, does not appear.
- Common keywords, like
last quarter, and
week of yeardo not reflect the settings of a custom calendar.
- The title page of an exported PDF does not display the full date.
datefilter of an answer does not work properly when pinned to a pinboard, even after applying the pinboard
- Scroll and edit options are missing for charts in presentation mode when using the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser.
6.0 New Features and Functionality
You can now download ThoughtSpot Mobile app from the AppStore for both iPhone and iPad devices. ThoughtSpot Mobile works for releases 5.1 and later.
Mobile version 1.1.2 now supports auto-redirect Single Sign-On (SSO) for configured clusters.
Embrace for Snowflake and Amazon Redshift
In addition to Snowflake support, you can now perform live queries against an Amazon Redshift database without caching it in ThoughtSpot. You can then analyze this data, and create Answers and Pinboards. Support for Amazon Redshift is in beta in Release 6.0.
ThoughtSpot now supports the following features for linked tables:
- Search suggestions for column values
- Indexing of table columns
- Remapping of tables and columns
For more information, see Embrace overview.
The Monitor feature enables you to follow headline metrics, and get daily updates in your mailbox, on your ThoughtSpot home page, and in the SpotIQ Follow management interface.
For more information, see Monitor headlines
Support for Monitor is in beta.
To monitor headlines, click the Follow icon in the top right corner of the insight.
The SpotIQ Follow interface lists all the headlines you follow, and the changes from last run.
Click each headline to see the detailed performance over time, examine each interval, all at the time scale you choose. And you can change to table view, or to another chart type to better visualize your changing metric.
This release introduces a complete new approach that makes chart configuration much easier and more intuitive.
Chart configuration overview
- Add drag-and-drop chips automatically when adding new elements in search bar. These appear on the chart as “Not visualized”, and you can move them into the axis area to visualize.
- Improve number formatting for data labels on the chart marks (bars, bubbles, lines), and on the axes. Can use numbers, percentages, currencies, and specified units, “as is” (auto mode), or change to millions, trillions, and billions (K, M, B). Can easily specify the number of decimal places.
- Independent control of each measure in a chart helps you reduce noise by applying labels only where you need it.
- Simple time bucketing lets you change granularity of time series.
- Intuitive color configuration enables you to quickly change color on the element or in the legend.
- Column renaming for pivot tables and regular chart tables, wrapping and clipping of header text.
You can now Export Worksheets by downloading them to a
*.yaml file, make changes, and then Update the Worksheet from the changed file either to the same cluster, or to a new cluster.
Scriptable Worksheets support metadata migration from development to production environments, enables changes that are not possible within the user interface, and lets you perform bulk changes to the metadata (renaming, duplication).
Welcome new users
Administrators can configure a welcoming experience for new users. In addition to assigning a user to the most relevant groups and Pinboards, they can customize a Welcome email to introduce them to ThoughtSpot and help them get started.
Configure new user welcome experience and emails
To quickly onboard new users and teach them how to effectively use ThoughtSpot, we added in-product guidance and video content.
Getting started with ThoughtSpot
We improved the experience of sharing Answers and Pinboards through better email notifications, with embedded links.
Sharing Pinboards and Answers
See Overview of Sharing.
Access request and grant
To enhance the ease of sharing, we simplified and reinforced the workflow for access request and grant of privileges to Pinboards, Answers, and Data sources.
Requesting and granting access to Pinboards and Answers
Google Cloud Platform GCS persistent storage
You can now reduce the cost of a GCP deployment by using GCS for storage of major services like the ThoughtSpot database and search engine. For more information, see GCP configuration options.
Streamlined GCP data loading from a GCS bucket
You can now load data from a Google Cloud Storage (GCS) bucket into your ThoughtSpot GCP instance. By assigning the Compute Engine default service account and the Set access for each API scope to your instance, you can set read-only access to your GCS bucket. This way, you don’t have to enter GCS credentials when loading data. For more information, see Loading data from a GCP GCS bucket
This release introduces Answer Explorer, which provides you with AI-guided exploration of Pinboards, at a single click.
Answer Explorer overview
Answer Explorer includes the following features:
- Filters search field accepts any value, including a column name. After you enter your value, press Enter, or click Add.
- Comparisons lets you easily perform a “versus” analysis.
- Breakdowns make it easy to add a new attribute or replace an existing one, and let you change buckets for time series: monthly, weekly, daily, or quarterly.
- Metrics “Also include” feature enables you to add other available metrics, and changing a column replaces a metric.
- Navigation: Column names appear separately from search values. Undo steps back to the last change. Copy and edit retains all changes. Seamlessly switch from Answer Explorer to search.
Refer to Answer Explorer.
Homepage Insights for everyone
This release of ThoughtSpot leverages existing insights that are generated by the SpotIQ power users, and shares them with everyone on their Homepage, regardless of that person’s access to SpotIQ Analyze function.
These insights are diverse, and cover a wider range of data sources and types.
Ask an Expert
We improved the Expert feature by adding more email notifications, enriching email content, and directly linking from emails to requests.
- When a user creates a request, both that user and designated experts get an email notification. The Open request link in the expert’s leads directly to ThoughtSpot, to review and manage the request.
- When an expert resolves the request, both the expert and the user receive an email notification. The user can then follow the supplied link to navigate directly to the resolved answer.
ThoughtSpot now supports GeoMap visualizations for these new locales:
- Austria: State, District, and Postal
- Italy: Region, Province/Territories, and Postal Code
- Poland: Province/Territories, County, Postal Code
6.0 Fixed Issues
The following issues are fixed in the 6.0 release:
tscli cluster download-releasecommand sometimes did not work correctly.
- The date dimension attribute was removed from the query for all date aggregations, except for DETAILED.
If you are interested in seeing some of our newest features, we want to add you to our testing group. ThoughtSpot is looking for people with all levels of experience: end-users, analysts, administrators, configurators, and so on. We like to have a diversity of experience and perspective, and want to hear from you. Because we strive for excellence, we will partner with you to adjust the final details of our offerings based on your feedback.
Please contact us if you are interested in participating in the Monitor Beta Program, for monitoring selected metrics over time.
Supported Upgrade Paths
If you are running one of the following versions, you can upgrade to the 6.0.2 release directly:
- 5.3.x to 6.0.2
- 5.2.x to 6.0.2
(This includes any hotfixes or customer patches on these branches.)
If you are running a different version, you must do a multiple pass upgrade. First, upgrade to version 5.2.x, or version 5.3.x, and then to the 6.0.2 release.