If your company stores source data externally in data warehouses, you can use ThoughtSpot Embrace to directly query that data and use ThoughtSpot’s analysis and visualization features, without moving the data into ThoughtSpot. If you decide later you want to copy your data into ThoughtSpot, you can also do that with Embrace.
Embrace supports the following external databases:
- Amazon Redshift (in beta)
To enable Embrace, contact ThoughtSpot support.
How it works
You create a connection to the external database, choosing the columns from each table that you want to explore in your live query. Primary key and foreign key relationships are imported along with the primary and foreign key tables. If there are any joins in the tables of your connection, they are also imported. After your connection is complete, it becomes a linked data source in ThoughtSpot that allows you to query the external database directly. It’s easy to apply transformations and filter the data also.
- Set up and deploy ThoughtSpot faster by connecting directly to the external database.
- Eliminate the need to move data into ThoughtSpot for analysis.
- Centralize data management and governance in the external database.
- Save significant time and money by avoiding ETL pipelines.
- Set up and schedule sync of data into ThoughtSpot.
- Connect to multiple external databases.
Embrace has two operating modes:
- Linked: ThoughtSpot queries your data in the external database.
- Synced: ThoughtSpot queries a copy of your data stored in ThoughtSpot.
When you create your connection to an external database, by default, it is a Linked connection. If you want to copy the external data into ThoughtSpot, you must sync the data. The features available with Linked and Synced tables are slightly different.
Features in Embrace modes
|Feature||Linked Tables||Synced Tables|
|Complex searches like Versus, Inline Subquerying, Growth||Yes||Yes|
|Search Suggestions for column names||Yes||Yes|
|Search Suggestions for column values||Yes||Yes|
|Headlines at the bottom that summarize tables||Yes||Yes|
|All Chart Types & Configurations||Yes||Yes|
|SpotIQ Instant Insights||No||Yes|
|SpotIQ pre-computed insights||No||Yes|
|Table and Column Remapping||Yes||N/A|
|Indexing of table columns||Yes||Yes|
- Add a connection
Create the connection between ThoughtSpot and tables in an external database.
- Sync Set your connection to copy tables from the external database into ThoughtSpot.
- Modify a connection
Edit, remap or delete a connection to tables in an external database.
- Connectors reference
Source cloud data connectors, and their connection credentials, supported by Embrace.