The “near” and “farther than” keywords provide proximity searches. First, you’ll need to designate the longitude and latitude columns as “Geo” by editing the GeoType column in the modeling file or the Columns setting screen.
Columns that can be designated as “Geo” columns need to contain text (VARCHAR) data unless they contain latitude/longitude data. Latitude and longitude columns can contain numeric data (DOUBLE) or text.
If you are using a column with the data type DOUBLE for latitude and longitude, you will also need to change the following settings for those columns:
- Set Column Type to ATTRIBUTE.
- Set Additive to NO.
- Set Aggregation Type to NONE.
If you want to be able to use these search keywords:
near…within n miles km meters
farther than n miles km meters from
the data source (worksheet or one of the tables) must contain a column of type longitude and a column of type latitude, and these must be set using the appropriate GeoType, as shown in this procedure.
Note: The latitude and longitude data have to be on the same base tables for the feature to work.
These keywords allow you to search with spatial filters on data contained in a table or worksheet which contains geo type columns with latitude/longitude data. This lets you search based on spherical distance. The distance is calculated as a straight-line distance (not road distance) radius using miles, kilometers, or meters from the central point. If not specified, the default is 10 km.
Note: These keywords:
- work on duplicate counties.
- can be filtered on.
- display a circle that represents your set distance on the geo charts when you filter on a GeoType column.
- are limited to 33 latitude/longitude pairs.
- Find the GEO CONFIG for the column that contains the geographical data.
- Change the value to the appropriate GeoType, depending on the kind of data the column contains.
- If your data includes latitude and/or longitude columns that are stored as a numeric data type (DOUBLE), make these changes for those columns:
- Change the Type or ColumnType to ATTRIBUTE.
- Change ADDITIVE to NO/FALSE.
- Save your changes.
List of geotypes
||Counties in the United States||
||States in the United States||
||Must be used with
||Must be used with
||Zip codes in the United States||
|Other Sub-nation Regions||Administrative regions found in countries other than the United States||